|News for and about Grace Episcopal Church
||January 29, 2009|
There are three things to remember about this Sunday's service:
- It's our Annual Meeting, so come prepared to stay after the service to enjoy a potluck luncheon, to vote, and to hear and discuss reports on the state of Grace.
- It's Soup-er Bowl Sunday, meaning that an offering will be collected in support of Interfaith Hospitality Network.
- It's also Sharing Sunday--the first Sunday of the month--when we bring non-perishable goods for the food pantry at Christ's Community in College Hill.
Do you know someone who might like to see this issue. Click here to share this eGraceNotes with a friend.
|Susan Dewbrey Dies
Susan Dewbrey, long time member of Grace Church, died this week.
A memorial service will be held at Grace Church at noon this Saturday, January 31.
A reception will follow in the Great Hall.
|Annual Meeting and Pot Luck This Sunday, February 1
Please bring dish and plan to attend this important event, which will immediately follow our worship service.
Reports will be heard. Wardens, Mission Council Members and Delegates to Diocesan convention will be elected. Nominations may be made from the floor, in addition to the following to be nominated by the nominating committee:
Senior Warden: David Mukasa
Junior Warden: Charles Bowles
Mission Council 3 year term: Bret Bernard and Justine Matovu
Mission Council 2 year term: Bennyce Hamilton
Mission Council 1 year term: Jackie Lewis, Carol Lyon and Florence Poyer
Convention Delegates: Mary McLain and Florence Poyer
Convention Delegate Alternate: David Mukasa
The purpose of the Annual Meeting as well as the business to
be conducted is clearly written in Grace Church by-laws passed on October 21, 2007. The main sections
Check out the by-laws and come to the Annual Meeting an
- Time and Purpose
Who is eligible to vote and what constitutes
- Mission Council composition
Terms of Office for Mission Council members
as well Senior and Junior Warden.
|The "Souper Bowl" is Coming Sunday
Put an extra $10 in your pocket when you come to church Sunday because the
collection that day supports Grace's favorite mission program--IHN (Interfaith
For many years Grace was a host church to homeless
families with children right in our own Sunday School classrooms. We are no
longer able to do that but homelessness in Cincinnati continues to grow and IHN
faithfully continues to assist families by providing temporary shelter and help
to find stable housing. We can continue
our support with our special donations on this day. If you would like know of
other ways help care for homeless families, contact Mary McLain, firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a bonus, when you make a contribution to IHN on Super Bowl Sunday you get a recipe
for one of the great soups served at the Holiday Dinner or our Stir
the Pot series!
|About the Outreach Committee
This is to provide an overview of the current focus of the Outreach
Committee. We are always looking for fresh ideas and new members,
This committee was established on January 9, 2008, when it was decided that the Stewardship/Mission Committee would be separated into a Stewardship Committee and an Outreach Committee. The group has been meeting monthly ever since.
We attempt to address the needs of both our external and internal communities, i.e. our immediate neighborhoods and beyond, as well as our own parish family ("inreach").
Our efforts will continue to include both ongoing and single-event projects, such as:
- IHN (Interfaith Hospitality Network), the first of which is the February 1st "Soup-er" Bowl Sunday activity.
- Tutoring/Mentoring at Pleasant Hill & Oyler Schools, as well as a new adult literacy program here at Grace for parolees.
- CCCH (Christ's Community in College Hill) Food Pantry, through our monthly and holiday collections.
- Sunday service bulletin mailings to shut-in members.
- A new emergency-contact listing/database.
- ECSF (Episcopal Community Services Foundation), through a new fundraiser.
- Luncheons prepared and served to the parolees who assist us with gardening, painting and other chores.
- The "Blessed Grill" parish/neighborhood BBQ.
- Concerts at Grace by Muse and other groups.
- Family movie nights.
- A Bazaar/Flea Market with outside vendors, at Grace.
- An adult game night, at Grace.Te Christmas Giving Tree for West College Hill Community Center.
Please contact any of our members with questions or input.
The Rev. Ernestein Flemister, Anne Henneberg , Maria Mukasa, Madeena Nolan, Roger Perna, Grace Staples, J. White, Judy Handy (chair).
Thanks to Judy Handy for this article.
|Do you wonder what is in the Book of Common
Prayer? Have you forgotten its beauty
Join the Vicar following the Services on February 8 and 22
and review and/or learn about this great book. (Some say that this is the prayer book that Jesus would have used, had he had it. Others say that the services of Morning and Evening Prayer are quite similar to what Jesus would have experienced in the synagogue, so, in a way, he did have it.)
|Office Volunteers Needed February 23 through March 6
Jim Edgy will be on vacation. If you can volunteer to
cover phones from 10 to 12 each day, please sign up on the sheet on the piano or email email@example.com.
| Plan Ahead for Lent
The clergy of our deanery will host a Lenten series on March 3rd,10th,17th,and 24th.
The series will be held at Ascension and Holy Trinity. Classes will be led by the Reverends David
Halt, Bob Hufford, David Bailey, Rosa Autry Brown, Pat Merchant and Ernestein
|Refresh Your Soul Conference Coming in March
The theme of the conference is Staying Afloat--Preserving the Capacity to Care. It'll be held March 6 and 7 at the Crowne Plaza in Blue Ash. Presenters include Jane Meier Hamilton, MSN, RN and the Rev. Dcn. Jaonna Seibet, MD. Brochures are available in the upper Belmont rack. For more information, cll Ellen Schneider at 800=835-4545 or visit www.episcopalretirement.com.
|Coming Events at Grace
In the coming week at Grace:
- Memorial Service and Reception for Susan Dewbrey, Saturday, January 31, noon.
- Choir Practice, Sunday, February 1, 9 am.
Eucharist Rite II, Sunday, February 1, 10 am.
- Annual Meeting and Potluck luncheon, Sunday, February, 1, following the 10 am service.
- Outreach Committee meeting, Wednesday, February 4, 11:30 am.
Choir Practice, Thursday, February 5, 7 pm.
Coming special events:
- Stir the Pot Series:
- The Freedom Files, Sunday, February 22. Highlights vital civil liberties issues.
- An Inconvenient Truth, Sunday, March 15. A film about one man's view of global warming.
- Do Not Go Gentle, Sunday, April 26. A film about the power of imagination and aging. The filmmaker will be with us.
See the Grace Church Calendar
for more complete and uptodate information on meetings and services at at Grace. Let us know if we've missed anything.
|Cathedral Hosts Choir Festival Service of Evensong
Michael McCarthy, Director of Music at Washington National Cathedral, will lead singers from churches throughout the Diocese of Southern Ohio in a Choir Festival Service of Evensong at our Cathedral. The service begins at 4 pm Saturday, February 7, at Christ Church Cathedral
in downtown Cincinnati at the corner of 4th and Sycamore.Evensong
is a beautiful service. This would be a great opportunity to experience it for the first time or the 100th.