A spiritual home where all are welcome; a healing place in a broken world.
Issue 137, May 11, 2011
Grace Church needs a little help!
We want to include news of Grace in eGraceNotes
, but we need your help in providing it.
- If you see someone who should be publicly thanked, please let us know.
- If something interesting happens, please let us know.
We also want to fix our leaky roof. See article below for details.
|Laura Chace Memorial Service Saturday at Christ Church, Glendale.
Laura Chace died Sunday, May 1. Her memorial service will be held at Christ Church Glendale, Saturday May 14 at 11 am. A reception will follow at the church.
Laura Chace was a member of Grace Church from her birth in 1937 until she was called to Christ Church Glendale as a deacon in 2002. She had been an active member at Grace all that time, and had served as Junior and Senior Warden and as deacon. In 1966, she published a history of Grace Church. Her father, Alan Chace, had served as Junior and Senior Warden before her.
Laura Chace was a member of the the Interfaith Hospitality Network Board. She became involved in IHN as a member of Grace Episcopal Church in the early 1990s soon after Interfaith Hospitality Network was formed in Cincinnati.
Laura was a life-long College Hill resident and was a founder of the College Hill Historical Society.
According to the Enquirer:
Laura L. Chace died at Christ Hospital. She was born January 17, 1937 in Cincinnati to Allan M. and Adeline Betts McCrea Chace. She is survived by her brother Robert A. (Lynne) Chace, two nieces, a nephew and many cousins. Laura's extended family is the Christ Church Glendale congregation. She was ordained an Episcopal deacon in 1998, and came to Christ Church in 2002. Laura received her BA from the University of Cincinnati, and her Master of Library Science degree from the University of Michigan. She also received a certificate in archival administration from the National Archives. Laura began her career with the Public Library of Cincinnati and retired from the Cincinnati Historical Society Library at the Museum Center.
Friends are welcome to attend her memorial service at Christ Church Glendale, 965 Forest Ave., Glendale, OH 45246 Saturday, May 14 at 11 am. A reception will follow at the church. In lieu of flowers, donations in memory of Laura may be made to the church and/or to Episcopal Community Services Foundation, 412 Sycamore St., Cinti., OH 45202. Condolences at hodappfuneralhome.comTo anyone who would be interested in helping with the Reception after Laura Chace's funeral:
Christ Church has a group called the Angel Team that puts together funeral receptions, among other things. If you are interested in bringing food or helping with the reception itself, please contact Louise Bower, Coordinator of the group. (email@example.com
|Healing Service Tonight
Hawley Todd writes:
Yes indeed it is that time again! Please join us this Wednesday for our monthly drumming/healing service! Drumming with Bob and Drums for Healing starts about 6:30ish. We will have a short liturgy at 7.
Come whenever you are able and stay as long as you like. (We often end after 10 and people seem to want to stay longer. I have been known to still be there at 11.)
Please bring your smiles and your love!
This month I will have Frankincense oil for anyone who wants a drop of that precious gift to enhance your awareness. Just another way to make it a special evening.
Much love to you all - Hawley
|Let's Fix Our Leaky Roof
Senior Warden Roger Perna writes:
The spring rains have let us know that we have a leaking roof at Grace Church (the picture shows just one of several problem areas). We have been constantly mopping up throughout April and so far in May. Floors and other surfaces are becoming damaged and immediate action needs to be taken to eliminate the problem.
We are in contact with several roofers and should be getting solid estimates within a week. The preliminary estimates are in the range of $15,000.
We have mailed letters to members and friends of Grace asking for contributions to help with the cost of the project. We also are asking the Diocese for financial help in the situation.
Please consider any amount that you can contribute to the effort. You can send your check to Grace Church, 5501 Hamilton Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45224, or make your contribution via credit card on Grace's Donate Page.
The Grace Church community has always met emergency needs in the past with great enthusiasm and we certainly trust that will be the case as we face this new challenge.
Thank you for your considerations in this matter.
Just last Sunday, members and friends donated $3450 to fix the roof. That's a great start!
Please keep these people in your prayers for their special needs:
The Daniel family as they grieve the loss of Patsy (Eric's mother-in-law), the Cavalieri family, Virginia Chapel's family, Anne, Darryl, Caleb and Joshua, Brian, Kim & Robb, Lynda, Marty, Leroy, Erik & Alison, Marie, Maureen Back, Irene Bryeans, Dean Bryeans, Fr. Bob Hufford, Diane, Maxwell & family, Barbara, Peter, the peoples of the Middle East, New Zealand and Japan.
Please let us know who should be included on our prayer list. You may use the Prayer Request Book at the rear of the nave to have persons included in the Sunday bulletin Prayer List and for prayers this week, or you can tell the office (513-541-2415, firstname.lastname@example.org). Make sure you have the person's permission to list him or her.
If you need pastoral care or know of someone who does, please call or email the office (513-541-2415, email@example.com). Keep us informed about about illness, hospital stays, requests for visits, communion, and prayers for special concerns.
|Thanks to ... |
- ... Hawley Todd and Bob Laake for creating and leading our Celebration of Wholeness and Healing tonight.
- ... the Uganda School (which meets at Grace monthly) for lots of yard work last Saturday.
- ... the Worship Team and the office staff for putting most of the words and music of our worship service in the bulletin. This certainly makes it easier for visitors to participate.
We're sure that we've left out many of the people who deserve our thanks. Let us know who we've missed by clicking eGraceNotes@GraceCollegeHill.org
|Coming Events |
- Today, Wednesday, May 11 at noon: Mission & Formation Team Meeting in the Parlor.
- Tonight, Wednesday, May 11 at 7 pm: Celebration of Wholeness and Healing with drums and a variety of healing practitioners.
- Sunday, May 15 at 10 am: Eucharist with Fr. David Howard celebrating.
- Sunday, May 15 following worship: Mission Council Meeting in the Parlor.
- Sunday, May 22 at 10 am: Eucharist with Fr. David Howard celebrating.
- Thursday, May 26 from 9 to noon: Parolee Work Day.
To see everything that's coming up at Grace, click here.
If you see errors or omissions, please email eGraceNotes@gracecollegehill.org.
News items not big enough to get their own separate article, but too good to leave out:
- Laura Chace's 13-year-old cats, Grayson and Tabitha, are in need of a home. Please call Mary McLain or the church office if you know of someone who could take them.
- Altar flowers are funded through your donations. The suggested amount is $35. You can donate for flowers on our Donation Page, or you can sign the Flower Donation Sheet on the table by the Belmont Door. There is a special flower box for smaller donations that can be combined to provide a Sunday arrangement.
|Grace Building Available for Weddings, Receptions, Meetings
We make our facilities available to outside groups for their use when time and space permit. Not only does this provide a service to those who need it, it also raises money to defray the expense of maintaining our building.
To avoid confusion about who's doing what, Mission Council has established the following procedures:
- All weddings, rehearsals and related receptions should be referred to Tony Denbo (firstname.lastname@example.org, 513-661-3477).
- All other rental or reservation requests from members or outside groups or individuals for the Great Hall or any space should be referred to J. White (513-532-9362, email@example.com).
- The online calendar is the source of information about our building schedule.
The Great Hall has been upgraded and makes a nice place for receptions or other meetings. See some recent pictures here
We want to augment the our photo album with some wedding pictures that show off the building. If you have some, please send them to Ken Lyon at firstname.lastname@example.org
. If you give him physical pix, he'll return them, of course.